A recently released study by the University of Florida Institute of Food and Agricultural Sciences researchers predict termites will dramatically increase their impact in the next two decades in areas of Florida. In fact, UF/IFAS entomologists estimate subterranean termite activity will expand, meaning half the structures in parts of Florida alone will be at risk of infestation by subterranean termites by 2040.
What does this mean to you?
The threat of termites to any wooden based structure on your property is real. The problem is expanding in Florida like no other state. Would you rather take preventative steps to protect your home OR wait to deal with the aftermath caused by these evil pests?
How can I help PREVENT termites in my home?
Here is a quick list of things to avoid that seem like Facebook “Friend Requests” to Termites.
- Do not attach wooden trellises to exterior walls.
- Keep wood debris, mulch, scrap lumber, sawdust and firewood away from your home. If you are storing firewood outside your home, keep it raised and off the ground. I keep my firewood next to my cinder block shed in the back yard about 100ft away from my home.
- Don’t stack, store or bury wood debris adjacent to your home.
- Remove infested trees and stumps.
- Trim all shrubs, bushes and other dense greenery away from the foundation of your home. Move mulch away from the foundation as well.
- Repair leaking faucets and water lines, both indoors and outdoors. A water spicket that leaks on the side of your home is especially bad.
- Fix leaky roofs and gutters.
- Don’t allow leaves to accumulate in gutters and drains.
- Grade soil so that water (including air-conditioning condensation) runs away from foundations.
- Ventilate crawl spaces and attics to reduce humidity.
- Remove all wood to soil contact.
- Cover at least 90% of the soil in crawl spaces with plastic sheeting.
- Ideally, wood siding, stucco and foam board should be at least six inches away from the ground.
- Seal all cracks and holes in your home’s foundation, which may provide a handy access point for termites.
Just to be safe, contact us or call 850-682-5354 to have our professionals come out and check your home for termites and give you a free estimate to remove them if signs of termite damage are found. We proudly service the Crestview, Defuniak Springs, Ft. Walton Beach, Destin, Freeport, Milton, and Niceville, FL area.