May Day returns to Crestview this year bigger and better than ever. The first event starts Friday night at 7pm at Carver Hill Center, 461 School Ave., Crestview, FL. It is the Annual Fellowship Night with the “Class of ’67” leading the events. The theme for 2017 is “Legacy, Pride, Service — Believe and Keep the Dream Alive”. The weekend events include the following:
- 9 a.m.: Parade (line-up begins at Carver Hill Museum).
- 11 a.m.: Opening ceremony; museum officially opens for the public to peruse
- 11:30 a.m.: Plaiting the May Day Pole – “Maypole plaiting is an ancient rite of spring as well as a political pirouette for independence and freedom movements. In parts of north Florida and Georgia, the Maypole dance is a tradition in observing Emancipation Day activities”
- concession stands and vendors
May 28 Sunday:
- 3 p.m.: May Day Annual Gospel Program, Community Youth, Macedonia Missionary Baptist Church, 603 Martin Luther King Jr., Crestview, with directors Carey Flavors, Shannon Hayes, & Ira Jolly.
Contact Numbers for more info on this event:
682-3494 (SAMUEL ALLEN), 682-3459 (GEORGE STAKLEY), 682-4003 (CARVER HILL MUSEUM)
Other local events this weekend –
May 27, 2017 – May 28, 2017 – Memorial Day Concert Celebration at HarborWalk Village
Celebrate Memorial Day at HarborWalk Village! It’s time for flip flops, sun tans and SUMMER! Kick-off summer with live music by DEPARTURE: The Journey Tribute Band, Flash Flood and fire spinning from Just Add Fire. on the Destin Harbor all weekend long and FIREWORKS over the Destin Harbor.
With all these festivities outdoors this Memorial Day weekend, be careful to watch out for fire ants. Now that summer break is upon us, children are running around outside barefoot!! As parents or family that care about our little ones make sure you check your yards frequently for fire ants. These fire ants we see today were imported from South America and continue to spread over the Southeast. Quick trivia: Fire ants can be both red and black, not just red like most people think. They are poisonous, and a bite from a fire ant can result in anything from itching to loss of consciousness.
If you do spot any fire ant mounds in your yard, we recommend contacting us for a free quote or calling us at 850-682-5354 so that we can assist you in getting them exterminated. These are semi-dangerous pests that bite children, adults, and pets, and should be kept under control by a professional. Protect your children today and contact us!!